Virginia Tech football just had a great N.f.l. day; and probably a pretty bad 2017 seasonal adjustment in R.A.T.T. Atlantic Coast Collegiate terms. Godspeed to our early entries!
The Evans, Bucky, Ford, Sam, and 100% of the right-side oLine departures are a critical offensive-based talent downgrade. Make no mistake here sports-fans; you do not get better with 75% of your pitch-n-catch routine gone; 40% of your oLine gone, and 55% of your O gone overall. Still yet, someone has to win the Qb1 job, and what if that someone was actually not even on the 24060 campus this last fall?
Hendon Hooker metrics:
- ~212 lbs.
- 20 yard shuttle 4.44 sec’s
- Power throw=37.5′
- Bench=235 lbs.!
- #1 ranked dual-threat Qb in North Carolina (Greensboro).
- Pretty sharp looking Shooting-G in hoops, a hard finishing and breakaway open-court slasher with just enough range.
- Recruiter=Charley Wiles
Hendon “the boss” Hooker is a interesting, elongated, lean looking shifty signature dual threat Qb who can threaten you with his arm and his wheels alike. He just won his AAAA (quad-A) state championship in football, while being named the M.V.P. of the title tilt where he only scored six that’s (6) TD’s his ownself. Making his senior year box score is a lucrative one…
- Statewide MVP after a dominant performance in the NC AAAA State Championship.
- 61.9% completion percentage good for: 2,652 yards with 28 TD’s passing.
- 1,236 yards rushing, on 27 carrying TD’s.
- Or, 3,888 in total O, great for 55 big TD’s or 33o total points.
- 25 total D-1 offers.
Film Study 1o1:
- Seems to roll-out well enough, with elongated bonus ground covering strides when he does. Appears very comfortable in a rolling R.P.O. type pocket that affords more east-west stretch. Not a pure drop-back pocket passer via physical trade(s) or high school play-calling design.
- Has a decent enough touch on the ball; although he’s more parts gunslinger off of 1-step or 3-step quick hitting play-action sets. Does have a slight sidearm action to his release point; will eventually catch a few deflections for this vs. D-1 De height.
- Has a nice pump-fake game, very strong on this, which hints at very strong and/or very large hands to truly gun and therefore bait-n-switch his pump-fake salesmanship here.
- Throws off of a heavily panted right-leg as an orthodox passer; probably bleeding just a little throw-game velocity here for an semi anchored weight-transference moving forward in his throwing motion itself.
- Runs very well internally, and remember you read that hint, here; first. Stronger than I expected on the read-option keeper looks up the gut. Those remind you of anyone’s just departed 2016 offense? Got some very smart looking Y.A.C. (yards after contact) as Hooker is not shy on tucking and heading up-field; not at all.
- Poised and competitive looking on tape; pretty good decision matrix as well; brings a accuracy shiny gold-foil star to affixed to his reputation game as well.
- Read a few technique foible type critics re: Hooker’s passing mechanics. However, he did not look quite that bad to me upon breaking tape. He does shoulder turn into his targeting side in an oblique way, and he dart-pub guide a few throws on a frozen rope follow-though; nonetheless, I’ve seen worse, much worse at that.
- I could not find a max’ throw (distance) listing; although I can tell you I saw him crank a good 50-55 in the air with relative ease. Probably has the biggest arm on campus the moment he sets foot… (even if that says more about the incumbent campus arms-race itself).
- Has a nice slip-move downfield, changes direction on dipping undercuts well enough; with plenty of swivel to his hips; appeared game-speed Emmitt Smith faster than listed on film; at least to me.
- Confident, well spoken kid, who says he wants to be an Orthodontist after college! (and me neither on: never heard that one, before)
To be quite direct, methinks this is your starting Qb1, IF -and after all, “IF is the middle word in life“- IF, you need the Qb spot to be a run-game genie (generator); as we did in 2016 | or if coach-Fu and coach Corny simply prefer a pure dual-threat Qb per their very own pet offensive definition.
In summary, although Joshua Jackson is no doubt noticeably further ahead in Fu’fense playbook, learning and experience curve terms alike, and likewise no doubt, he is probably the more polished pure throw-game pick; for the moment…
Nevertheless, the run game ceiling is mutually noticeably higher for Hooker; and his overall physical skill-set and therefore his overall ceiling appears taller as well, which may prove to ultimately be more long-view seductive indeed.
As this this looming Jackson vs. Hooker Pivotal showdown sure has the look and feel of a very nip-n-tuck or a very close Qb1 sweepstakes this spring and later on this summer for Virginia Tech football.
Virginia Tech‘s 2017 Qb1=Jackson or Hooker or other???